Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pacquiao fights, attempts to win 8th title

Filipino boxing champion Manny Pacquiao will attempt to win his 8th world title as he faces Mexican "Tijuana Tornado" Antonio Margarito today at the Cowboys Stadium in Texas.

At stake in the 12-round blockbuster title clash is the World Boxing Council (WBC) super welterweight crown.

Pacquiao, who weighed in at 144.6 lbs. on Friday, will have to contend against Margarito’s size advantage.

The Mexican tipped the scales at an even 150 lbs to make their agreed catch weight limit. Margarito is expected to climb the ring today at around 160-165 lbs.

Pacquiao, however, is confident that he will beat Margarito to the punch with his superior speed.

"I'm not worried," Pacquiao said in a report by LA Times.com. "That's what we did for training — train hard. My weight came down from what it was to make me faster.

"For the last week and a half, [trainer] Freddie Roach let me do what I wanted to do, get to where I'm as fast as I can be."

Margarito, on the other hand is confident of his chances to score an upset.

"It's very good. I'm very strong," said the Tijuana Tornado. "They can say what they want."

Aside from eyeing the title, Margarito is seeking to win back his reputation as a fighter after being caught in a hand wrap scandal in January 2009.

pacquiao vs margarito

No comments:

Post a Comment